ASSISTANT OPERATIONS MANAGER / HEAD BARISTA - POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Assistant Operations Manager and Head Barista will chiefly be in charge of assisting with the planning of confirmed events, preparing equipment and product for events, writing event briefs, then communicating, managing and allocating staff to given events as well as monitoring and maintaining coffee preparation standards. This is a hands on role that will involve setting up events and also working events by themselves or as part of a team. The AOM/HB should have sound experience as a barista being able to pour latte art under pressure, dial in with ease, while liaising with customers and other staff. A progression into some business development and sales exists within this role for the right candidate.
- liaise with clients to plan events
- Liaise with baristas in allocating shifts
- Prepare equipment for event
- Explore new business opportunities
- Prepare coffee to high standards (latte art, correct extraction identification and barista technique)
- Ensuring excellent customer service and product quality delivery
- Hiring and training of new baristas to existing standards and operational procedures
- Monitoring existing processes and analysing their effectiveness; and creating strategies to improve productivity and efficiency
- Communicating, maintaining and developing client relationships
- Work directly with the Operations Manager to ensure the above points are successfully executed.
This is a negotiable element of this position which, to a degree, can be performed at the Assistant Operations Managers own discretion. We envisage 1-2 days office and warehouse work each fortnight which will be comprised of planning events, managing staff and preparing equipment as well as meeting with Sales and Management for monthly reviews and upcoming events. In addition to the warehouse preparation days 1-3 days each week will be required to work at events solo or as part of a team. Whilst the structure of the above workload will vary, a minimum of 24 paid hours will be offered each week with the potential to work up to 40 when the work is available. Overtime will be remunerated according to the Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010 (MA000009).
Strong experience as a barista (as mentioned above) is the only pre-requisite for applicants.
Preference will be shown to applicants with experience in any of the following areas, however full training will be provided and these are not compulsory.
- Events industry experience
- Business management
- Team management / leadership
- Business development
- Sales and marketing experience
Expansion and Position Growth Opportunities
Applicants demonstrating experience or study in any area of interest will be welcomed to contribute to the business over the course of their ongoing employment (marketing/sales/training/accounting/etc). Position growth will be driven by the applicant based on their interest to contribute to Coffee Clique beyond the duties listed above. The General Manager will also guide and suggest possible opportunities they believe suited to the applicant.
Skills and Competencies of the Applicant
- Strong inter personal skills
- Strong time management and multitasking
- Strong coffee skills (extraction and pouring)
- Well groomed, neat & tidy appearance.
- Ability to work to a deadline
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team, and to lead a small team of baristas.
- Full Australian Drivers License
Relationships and Supervision Received
The Event Operations Manager will report to and work closely with the Operations Manager and General Manager. They will also work closely with casual baristas in necessary areas.
Salary will be based on previous experience and ability to integrate into existing systems and work methods. Salary is by negotiation but will start on a casual per hour rate + Super + loading for a trial period of 4 weeks, after which a job and salary review will be undertaken. Further job and salary reviews will occur every four months. Profit sharing models will be discussed should the applicant wish to be involved more in the business.
For more information or to apply please email with a CV and cover letter.